No Connect Button on CodePlex Source Code

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I'm using VS2012 and I wanted to "Connect" to the codeplex source repository as mentioned in the video tutorial to get constant updates.

However, I don't see a Connect button on the Source Code tab. I do see it for some other codeplex projects, but not for codeSHOW.

Is there a way to connect to the codeSHOW project to get constant updates?
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

codeSHOW has switched to using git for source control since the video aired. Are you familiar with using git?

Jeremy Foster

jeremy.foster@livecom // 206.250.7637

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:24 PM
To: jeremy.foster@live.com
Subject: No Connect Button on CodePlex Source Code [codeshow:434027]

I'm using VS2012 and I wanted to "Connect" to the codeplex source repository as mentioned in the video tutorial to get constant updates.

However, I don't see a Connect button on the Source Code tab. I do see it for some other codeplex projects, but not for codeSHOW.

Is there a way to connect to the codeSHOW project to get constant updates?

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Thanks Jeremy, I'm not familiar with git, but will look into it. Your answer at least points me in the right direction.

By the way, you and Mike have done a great job on the video courses. I went through the first part and am starting the second. I look forward to the live course coming up as well.

Keep up the great work!
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

The easiest way to get started with git is to go to windows.github.com and download and install the latest version. You won’t need to use github (you would be using codeplex instead), but the process installs git shell which is where you can easily interact with the source. I have found the free ebook on git-scm.com to be very helpful.

Jeremy Foster

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: No Connect Button on CodePlex Source Code [codeshow:434027]

Thanks Jeremy, I'm not familiar with git, but will look into it. Your answer at least points me in the right direction.

By the way, you and Mike have done a great job on the video courses. I went through the first part and am starting the second. I look forward to the live course coming up as well.

Keep up the great work!

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I followed your instructions and also found this page that was helpful about using git with codeplex:

Using Git with CodePlex

I'm still going through all the info, but I'm guessing that the way to refresh a downloaded repository is to re-clone it.

Thanks again.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Yep. Once you have git shell installed, you just go to the folder where you want to put the project locally (it will make a subfolder called “codeshow” for you) and then use: git clone https://git01.codeplex.com/codeshow

In a few seconds, you’ll have the whole project there.

Jeremy Foster

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: No Connect Button on CodePlex Source Code [codeshow:434027]

I followed your instructions and also found this page that was helpful about using git with codeplex:

TEXT

I'm still going through all the info, but I'm guessing that the way to refresh a downloaded repository is to re-clone it.

Thanks again.