Accessing code with VS2012 and TFS

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:55 AM

As you said in your Microsoft Virtual Academy screencast, we can browse code with TFS in VS2012. The link 'Connect' here on project source code page says only Team member can connect through TFS and for others user SVN. Your say?

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I thought that was possible. I hope you don’t have to be a team member, but that’s possible. Are you logged in to CodePlex with a username? When you go to connect do you see the following?

Use the following credentials when prompted:
Username: snd\codefoster_cp
Password: <your CodePlex website password>

Jeremy Foster

jeremy.foster@live.com // 206.250.7637

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:56 PM
To: jeremy.foster@live.com
Subject: Accessing code with VS2012 and TFS [codeshow:404173]

As you said in your Microsoft Virtual Academy screencast, we can browse code with TFS in VS2012. The link 'Connect' here on project source code page says only Team member can connect through TFS and for others user SVN. Your say?

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Edited Nov 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I got the prompt asking for credentials and followed your instructions. Now, it says...

TF30063: You are not authorized to access https://tfs.codeplex.com/tfs/tfs32.
The mappings for the solution could not be found.
The active solution has been temporarily disconnected from source control because the server is unavailable.  To attempt to reconnect to source control, close and then re-open the solution when the server is available.  If you want to connect this solution to another server, use the Change Source Control dialog.

Any advice? I did notice that the build process ran without issues.

Coordinator
Nov 25, 2012 at 1:45 AM

It may actually be that the server (codeplex.com) was down for a bit or your internet connection goofed up. Are you still having trouble with it? You may have to go into the source control options in Visual Studio and configure it to connect to the server.

Jeremy Foster

Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: Accessing code with VS2012 and TFS [codeshow:404173]

I got the prompt asking for credentials and followed your instructions. It says...

The active solution has been temporarily disconnected from source control because the server is unavailable. To attempt to reconnect to source control, close and then re-open the solution when the server is available. If you want to connect this solution to another server, use the Change Source Control dialog.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:10 PM
codefoster wrote:

It may actually be that the server (codeplex.com) was down for a bit or your internet connection goofed up. Are you still having trouble with it? You may have to go into the source control options in Visual Studio and configure it to connect to the server.

Jeremy Foster 

Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: Accessing code with VS2012 and TFS [codeshow:404173]

I got the prompt asking for credentials and followed your instructions. It says...

The active solution has been temporarily disconnected from source control because the server is unavailable. To attempt to reconnect to source control, close and then re-open the solution when the server is available. If you want to connect this solution to another server, use the Change Source Control dialog.

Jeremy - Any idea how I can do that? I checked under File > Source Control. It shows me 2 entries under Solution/Project and both say 'No Server'.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I had the same issue and doing some digging it appears that this is not possible. According to the CodePlex docs you need to be a listed as a Coordinator or Developer on a project to get TFS access to it.  See here:

http://codeplex.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Using%20TFS%20and%20Team%20Explorer%20with%20CodePlex#Connect

Jeremy, if at all possible, you might consider adding some scrolling text to the bottom of the JumpStart videos where you talk about connecting via TFS that says it cannot be done. Otherwise you will continue to get people spending time trying to do it. If they are lucky, they will find this thread. If not, they may be very unhappy campers.

Dave Parker

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Bummer. Thanks for sleuthing that out @wwdavep. I wish I could modify the JumpStart videos, but I can't.